German (Deutsch) is a West Germanic language spoken mainly in Central Europe. It is the official or co-official language in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, as well as parts of Italy (South Tyrol), Belgium, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein.
German is the second most widely spoken Germanic language (after English, unsurprisingly), and is both the native language to almost 100 million people worldwide, and a very much sought-after secondary or tertiary language in many countries. So is German, for example, the second (in primary schools) and third (in lower secondary levels) most widely taught language in the EU, the fourth most-widely non-English language in the US, the second most commonly used scientific language, as well as the third most-widely used language on websites (after Englisch and Russian).
As you can see, there are quite a few good reasons that argue for learning German, and where could you get a better education than in one of the most beautiful and exciting cities of the world?
Vienna offers a great variety of language schools, some of which are particularly specialised on the German language. Course lengths range from a few weeks to a whole semester and are mostly dedicated by the level of proficiency and the fluency you want to achieve.
Here are some of Vienna’s best know German language schools as a starting block for your journey to becoming a German speaker:
Deutsch Akademie Vienna
- small groups
- 12 levels
- German teachers with academic degree
- 4 weeks / 3 hours per day
Where: Opernring 1, 1010 Vienna
Web: Deutsch Akademie Vienna
Sprachenzentrum University of Vienna
- max. 16 students per group
- one-to-one tuition possible
- academic teachers
- semester, trimester, and intensive/holiday courses
Where: Alser Straße 4 / University Campus – Courtyard 1, Door 1.16, 1090 Vienna
Web: Sprachenzentrum University Vienna
Goethe Institute Vienna
- max. 16 students per course
- highly qualified teachers
- modular course system & individual grading
- monthly course starts
Where: Schwarzenbergplatz 2, 1010 Vienna
Web: Goethe Institute Vienna
- 6 – 9 participants per group
- one-on-one sessions available
- efficient, systematic teachers with academic background
- course durations of 6 – 8 weeks
Where: Mariahilfer Straße 93/1/15, 1060 Vienna
Web: Das Sprachenstudio
- small groups
- innovative teaching methods
- highly experienced & educated teachers
- varying course durations – find something that fits your need!
Where: Frankenberggasse 14/7 & 8, 1040 Vienna
Web: IFU Sprachschulung